STOCKTON (CBS13) – Aliycia Reynaga, a 15-year-old Stagg High School student, has died after she was stabbed multiple times by an intruder who approached campus, officials say.

The incident happened around 11 a.m. on Monday in front of campus, according to the Stockton Unified School District. Police say the suspect—later identified as Anthony Gray, 52—drove up to the front of the school, parked his car, got out, walked over to the student, and then stabbed her.

READ MORE: Stagg High Stabbing Suspect Anthony Gray Ordered To Undergo Mental Evaluation

Anthony Gray, 52 (credit: Stockton Police Department)

Officials say the suspect was detained immediately after the stabbing.

Reynaga was rushed to the hospital but she has since died, the superintendent confirmed at a press conference later on Monday.

Stagg High was also immediately placed on lockdown, the district says. Students were dismissed at 2:17 p.m. at a separate exit.

READ MORE: Boosted Californians Getting COVID At Twice The Rate Of Those Vaccinated But Not Boosted

Local law enforcement has taken over the investigation, the district says.

Watch the press conference with school and police officials below.

Authorities say the incident appears to be random. A weapon has been recovered.

The school district says counselors responded to campus.

MORE NEWS: Applications Now Open For $10K Grants For Sacramento Artists

Stockton Mayor Kevin J. Lincoln had this to say about the shooting:

“My heart is shattered by the violence that ended the life of a young student today. My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. No child should ever have to experience or witness such senseless acts of violence. The safety and security of our students is of the utmost importance for the SUSD and the City of Stockton. We will work together to identify additional measures and resources promoting public safety and services for our students. SUSD Public Safety Department immediately responded to the incident and Stockton PD now has the suspect in custody. This is an active homicide investigation. We must pray for all of our students, families, faculty and staff as we grieve this heavy loss.”